Follow Us

Follow us on Twitter Logo Follow us on Facebook

Alert St. Johns Logo

My Evacuation Zone Logo

WeatherStem Logo WeatherSTEM
St. John's County EOC

Storm Ready Community Logo
Storm Ready Community since August 9, 2004

Stay Informed

  • Bullet Graphic  Hurricane Guide
    The Official Hurricane Guide for St. John County

  • Bullet Graphic   Distress Helpline
    SAMHSA's Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to those experiencing emotional distress related to disasters.

  • Bullet Graphic  My Florida 511
    Real-time road and traffic information.

  • Bullet Graphic  NOAA
    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

  • Bullet Graphic  Ready America
    Instructional Videos to help you prepare for Hurricane Season.

Find a Publication

Publications are PDF's
Download Acrobat Reader

or   Publication List Page

Homeland Security

InsuranceRenters Insurance


Homeowners Insurance    Renters Insurance    National Flood Insurance

Even though you may be adequately prepared for a disaster, you may still suffer significant damage to your property. This is why renters or homeowners insurance is so important. Yet many people affected by disasters have been under insured, or not insured at all. Make sure the insurance you buy protects against the hazards you may face.

Renters Insurance

  • Buy renter's insurance, which pays for damaged, destroyed, or stolen personal property. Your landlord's insurance won't cover damage to or loss of your possessions. Also, consider special coverage such as flood insurance for your belongings.
  • Be very clear about what a policy will cover. Some policies cover more than others.
  • Comparison shop for the best coverage at the best price. Policies vary from company to company. Policies in most areas are affordable. Start with the company that insures your car, discounts are often available if you carry more than one policy with a company.
  • You may also want to consider special coverage, as insurance for renters, and homeowners, won't cover certain types of losses. Ask your agent about special or additional coverage for floods, earthquakes, home offices and other potential problems.